Monday, September 29, 2014

The Crepevine in Altamonte Springs Review: Fresh? Yes. Delicious? Oh yes!

Crepes. You either love them or you've never tried them. Simple as that. Who doesn't love a banana and chocolate crepe sprinkled with powdered sugar?

If you're a crepe fanatic -- I know I am -- check out The Crepevine in Altamonte Springs. They've been open a few months now, but I just recently discovered them tucked away in The Village Shops Plaza behind TGI Fridays on W. State Road 436. The place is really cool and the crepe ingredients couldn't be fresher.

I stopped by for a menu sampling recently and I discovered that crepes are not only sweet indulgences, but that they're perfect for breakfast and even a lunch or light dinner. A crepe works as a thin, light vessel for all the good stuff you put inside, whether it's strawberries and whipped cream, bacon, eggs and cheese, or chicken, lettuce and tomatoes. It's what's on the inside that counts.

I started my sampling with a breakfast crepe: the Shacker ($5.95) with sausage, bacon, eggs, cheese and spinach and tomatoes (or your choice of veggies). You can dive right in with a knife and fork, or simply pick up the wrapped crepe in your hand and bite away. Everything was made right in front of my eyes and the artistry involved in making the crepe from batter on a hot griddle to the drizzling of chocolate is fun to watch.

Next I sampled the Czar ($7.99) with double chicken, cheese, romaine lettuce, tomatoes Caesar dressing and Parmesan and then the Wobbles ($7.99) with chicken, turkey, cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach, tomatoes and a Cajun remoulade. Crepes are light and airy themselves, but when packed with this much good stuff they become "Man Crepes" and really fill you up.

Stuffed, but of course I couldn't resist a dessert crepe. Who could? I tried the Gilberto ($6.60) and was amazed at the presentation and the sweet perfection of this decadent desert. Imagine fresh strawberries, bananas and whipped cream stuffed into a light fluffy crepe and drizzled with chocolate syrup and Nutella -- a whole lot of it. This is the crepe of my dreams, and my dreams have become reality at The Crepevine.

5 Dreams Realized out of 5

The Crepevine is open Sunday through Thursday 7:30 am to 9:00 pm and Friday through Saturday 7:30 am to 10:00 pm. Beer and wine is available.


The Crepevine
249 W. State Road 436
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
321-972-8999

Note: I dined compliments of The Crepevine.
The Crêpevine on Urbanspoon

No comments: