Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Quick review: Tomasino's New York Pizzeria

Thin crust California pizza - not my style.

Deep dish Chicago pizza - I indulge whenever possible.

Traditional Margherita pizza - perfect if it's made right.

New York pizza - fugetaboutit!

Yea, when it comes to pizza, nothing beats a hot pie from New York City. There's just nothing like folding in half a hand-tossed slice and tasting the gluten overloaded crust, the tangy tomato sauce and gooey, stringy mozzarella cheese.

If you're not up for a 1,078-mile cab ride to Grimaldi's Pizzeria in New York, I suggest you head on over to Tomasino's New York Pizzeria on Colonial Drive.

It's a small place to be sure, but the look and feel is all New York. There's a mafia theme to the joint and the pizza is about as authentic as you can get this side of the Mason-Dixon line. I loved the black and white posters of the staff posed as gangsters holding Tommy guns alongside classic 30s cars. Makes you want to tip well.

I tried a 14" Butcher's Pie ($16.99) loaded with just about every pork topping known to man: pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, bacon and ham. The toppings were generous to the point of pig overload. The cheese was crispy on top and gooey beneath. The sauce was tangy with a subtle sweetness. And the foldable, flexible crust was just about perfect for my taste. I can't think of a pizza I've enjoyed more in several years.

4 made men out of 5

Tomasino's New York Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

iAmMel said...

I been here when it was called little Anthony's. I love everything about this restaurant, the cheese fries with bacon are great, the pizza is excellent, I just love it!